Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sorry For the Absence

Hi everyone.  Hopefully I was not gone too long.  Once again, good old writer's block + exhaustion has kicked in the past week or so.  Anyway, if you wanted to know how we are doing..... Brandon seems to be recovering from  his sickness nicely.  I mean, he is still a little tired and congested and coughs a little bit, but nothing like how it was before.  So that is good news.  Or at least... better news than before.  Also, I didn't catch his sickness at all.  Here are a few things I have been up to:

1) I have officially stopped wearing deodorant.  Now, before you start thinking I am disgusting with zero hygiene, hear me out.  I have always been a bit uncomfortable with the fact that deodorant contains aluminum and other harsh chemicals that could cause breast cancer and other health issues.  Also, I could not help but notice that deodorant never seemed to last all day.  Maybe 12 hours tops before I had to reapply another toxic layer to my already-irritated skin.  For instance, I would apply deodorant after a shower at 8:00 pm... When I woke up in the morning the deodorant scent was replaced by a very strong sweat smell.  So I had to apply it again.  Upon doing online research, I found this is because the body tries to get rid of the toxic chemicals.  Sweat comes out as a result.  The smell of sweat mixed with these chemicals your body has just gotten rid of is a Body Odor smell.  The other thing that always bothered me about deodorant is the fact that it gets on my clothes and has eventually stained the armpits on some of my favorite shirts.  R.I.P. favorite Panda/Hello Kitty T-shirt.  Anyway, so at first I was very scared to stop using deodorant because I figured that I will smell so sweaty and gross without it.  But I trusted my gut feeling on this one, and researched for alternative deodorants.  Well, it turns out coconut oil is a REALLY good alternative to regular deodorant.  This stuff WORKS, I am telling you.  I mean, initially it feels different than the powdery deodorant stick we are all used to.  It will take at least 2 days of adjustment time to get used to it.  I just dab a pea-sized amount under my arms.  On days where I just don't feel coconut oil alone will cut it for me, I add a dime size amount of baking soda on top of the coconut oil layer.  Just be careful not to do this directly after you shave your armpits or else it hurts so bad and may give you a rash.  But I do this baking soda method every 3 days or so.  The rest of the time coconut oil alone more than suffices.  And believe me, I was so skeptical to try something alternative at first, but it truly has made such a difference.  I rarely get the sweat smell any more.  Only if  I didn't shower and exercise or something.  Haha.  But seriously, deodorant is just too harsh to put on our skin.  It WILL end up in our system, causing problems.  Ok, I am done with this subject now.  Point taken, right?

2) I made semi-homemade lotion inspired by Jillee's recipe.  It was kinda fun, and I felt like a mad scientist.  It was so easy too!  I would just like to make some modifications to her recipe though:

Ashleigh's Semi-Homemade Lotion:

20 oz bottle of Vitamin E Lotion (dollar store)
4 oz bottle of Vitamin E Cream  (much thicker than the lotion version, can be found at any drugstore)
8-10 oz of softened but not liquified Coconut Oil (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
30-40 drops of your favorite essential oils (optional)(I like Eucalyptus Oil for flu season or Bergamot for any day)

Mix all of these lotions in a large mixing bowl with a handheld electric mixer.  Divide lotion into pretty bottles to give to your friends. 

I bought some cute pump dispensers from  the dollar store.  I changed the recipe due to the fact that I am  not too crazy about the smell of  baby lotion.  It is best left for babies.  :-)

3) I have been reading Ender's Game (thanks to my favorite blogger, Natalie).  OH. MY. GOSH.  It's brilliant.  I just love it so much. 

4) Lately, just to be a nerd, I have been practicing math.  Yep, Algebra is the section I am  on right now.  I officially got past Basic Arithmetic and Pre-Algebra.  Oh man, I am  hardly cut out for it.  Brandon is so good at math and has offered to be my tutor if  I need him  to.  Oh my.  Sexiest tutor EVER! Not that I have taken him up on his offer yet...

5) Lately, I love taking a walk as my lunch break at work.  It is a great way to get fresh air, relieve stress, and take lots of pretty phone pictures.  Speaking of which, tomorrow I will post all my phone photos.  I am just a little bit too side-tracked to do it right now.  And I spent waaaaay too long on the deodorant explanation to have any more time for blogging.

So..... I gotta run now.  I have truly missed blogging.  It is good for the soul.  Speaking of good for the soul, I was reading some random articles on this website on the pursuit of happiness.  A lot of the points this author brought up resonated with me today.  I did not agree with everything he said, but definitely was inspired to find things to be grateful for, and to express love more readily.  Note that I would never fall for buying his program for $100.  That is so utterly expensive for literature or podcasts.  Sorry to say so, but it's true.  But the side articles are excellent.  Alright dear friends.  Talk to you later. xoxox

~Sincerely, Ashleigh Son

No comments:

Post a Comment