Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pancake Night at the Son Residence

How is everyone doing today?  I must say, today was tiring, then upsetting.... but then I had a nice chat with my husband and he took me on a date, so I ended up having a lovely day after all.  After our date we decided it would be fun to make pancakes... just because we felt like eating them.  Let me tell you, Brandon makes some SUPER yummy peanut butter chocolate chip pancakes.  And he didn't even use a recipe!  It was so impressive.  Gosh, I married such a good cook.  I, on the other hand... am not the best cook in the world when it comes to breakfast foods, but I did call my mom to get her SUPER healthy recipe just to have a variation in our pancake menu.  Now, if you are craving sugary goodness, this is not for you.  However, if you are wanting something completely healthy, potentially vegan, tasty, and filling, I have got JUST the perfect recipe for you to try.


Spinach Banana Pancakes

In a blender, combine and blend until ingredients become a pancake batter consistency:

- 4 eggs (for a vegan version, replace eggs with 3 Tbsp chia seeds gelled with just over 1/2 c. water)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked, of course)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 generous handfuls of spinach (about 2 cups)

Put 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil onto a hot pan, and pour a small amount of batter onto the pan.  Cook just like you would a normal pancake, over low/medium heat.  Flip the pancake when it starts bubbling on the top.  If you wait too long (like I did sometimes) it will get a bit burned.  So be careful.  Anyway, I am telling you, if you have a gluten or dairy intolerance, you will really appreciate a recipe like this.  It is very substantial and I find it to be delicious.  However, I do not have a mainstream American taste.  I love health foods, so if you are the type that likes their food pumped with corn syrup, you are better off with regular sugary pancakes.  If you want, you can serve this with butter (if you want that lovely fatty taste!) or with maple syrup, for a sweeter taste.  My mom makes her own syrup that consists of 1 part lemon juice, 1 part maple syrup, and a bit of cinnamon.  Just top the pancakes with any topping you like.  Vanilla ice cream??? Why, yes, that would probably be lovely! 

ARGHHH! Why do I never remember to take pictures of these things?  Also, Brandon was going to put his peanut butter and chocolate chip recipe on his blog, but then he realized he was just winging it so he did not really measure everything and he kinda forgot all that he put in it.  Hahaha.... he is seriously the Picasso of cooking.  Everything he cooks turns out so yummy.  :-) Well, good night.  It is late.  xoxoxox

PS....I was just reading over one of my favorite blogs and was super touched by this post. PLEASE READ IT.  It will change your life.

~Sincerely, Ashleigh Son

No comments:

Post a Comment