Monday, November 19, 2012

Little Gifts and Being Intentional

You know you are married to someone absolutely wonderful when you come home to this:

A chocolate orange!!! MY FAVORITE kind of holiday candy...

Brandon frequently surprises me with little things like this... for instance, a while back he left this on my laptop:
Dark chocolate... we are both absolute ADDICTS when it comes to this.

I think it is wonderful that he is constantly expressing his love in ways such as this.  And yes, as you can see I am a chocolate FREAK.  In fact, I love most food, so Brandon is always cooking delicious things to surprise me.  Seriously, I can hardly believe how blessed I am when it comes to who I married.  Goodness.

This got me thinking about how important it is to be intentional within a marriage.  I think we often get stuck in a rut of letting life get in the way of expressing our love, even in small and simple ways.  For me, what helps me to do loving/intentional things in my marriage is to make a task list.  Yes, I know this is the ultimate nerdy technique, but I use a task list on my smart phone and include all my regular daily duties.  I also think of little things Brandon might like me to do for him as well and add it on to my list.  For a long time, I forgot about the "list technique." Things did not go as planned, to say the least, because I could not organize my thoughts well enough to get everything done efficiently and then have time left over to be a loving, intentional woman.  I am a very structured kind of person, so it is best for me to have things listed if I really want to get them done.  As soon as I started up my task list again, I found I did not feel as hectic with daily tasks, and also I had a lot of extra time since I had planned out activities for the day.  There was less time wasted on thinking about what needed to be prioritized, or what was I forgetting to do...etc. 

Especially with the holidays coming up, I want to be very intentional and create loving memories for Brandon and me.  This Thanksgiving we will be cooking all our food together, enjoying quality time together, and creating our own traditions...and I plan on documenting it.  I also feel like journaling or blogging about married life is a good way to be intentional in the relationship because it captures memories that you can never get back.  I think it is important to find things to be grateful for in my spouse, and let him know how much I appreciate him and care that we are creating these priceless memories together.  Bottom line... find a way that you can be intentional in your marriage and you will begin to notice all the little blessings in your life, and your spouse will notice your little efforts as well.  xoxox

~Sincerely, Ashleigh Son

No comments:

Post a Comment