Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Failed Hair Experiment

Hello my lovelies!  Soooo.... I will get straight to the point.  In the past few days I have read a total of 3 blog posts that have rave reviews about using coconut oil on your hair as a conditioner to make it softer, shinier, and stronger.  So I decided to give it a shot today.  I bought some organic coconut oil from Trader Joe's. It is not extra virgin.... just virgin.  (Does that matter?)  Anyway, I first washed my hair and then slathered a generous spoonful of coconut oil on my damp hair.  Then I put it up in a disposable shower cap to let it do its magic for about an hour.  I shampooed my hair twice to wash it out.  I admit, my hair immediately felt much stronger and not brittle at all.  Then I blow-dried my hair.  That is when I noticed the HORROR in the mirror.  Although my hair was completely dry, it looked greasy and wet! I could not believe this.  After all, remember, I had shampooed my hair twice to get this coconut oil out.  My hair was completely shiny, but NOT IN A GOOD WAY.  It was like an oil slick.  Hahaha.... So I did the one thing a girl in this situation COULD do.  I baby-powdered the crap out of my hair followed by an overly generous spritz of dry shampoo to dull the oily sheen.  Whew.  It looks a lot better now, but there are still a few stringy strands that I am trying to ignore as I type this.  Maybe it will be gorgeous in the morning, though.  But I must say, that was not the best experience for me.  One good thing.... my hair smells freakishly amazing right now.  Like coconut baby powder candy.  HAHA.  No, but really, coconut oil made my hair smell pretty good.  I am just glad I did not have to go somewhere important, though.  It took me a good 10 minutes to rectify that awful situation (which, in my opinion, is WAAAY too long to correct something).  BUT!!!! I think I know where I went wrong.  If I were to do it again (I probably will) I would JUST put the coconut oil on the ends of my hair and not let it TOUCH my roots.  I like how my hair feels, just not the nasty oily look that happened to be the end result in this case.  If it works out for me next time with the "ends of the hair only" technique, I will let you all know.  But for now, I would have to say that it was horrendous.  I should have known, since I have the kind of hair type that tolerates ZERO hair product on the roots or else it looks disgusting.  That's all for now folks! xoxox

~Sincerely, Ashleigh Son

6 comments:

  1. I just used coconut oil on my hair for the first time too!...haha, the results were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like this face mask that used coconut oil.. also not a good idea. I honestly dont get the coconut oil trend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo.... did it make you break out or something? Cause I was going to do a face mask experiment next.... might not be worth the risk.

      Delete
  3. oh girls. I use coconut oil twice a week. I'll teach you guys how to do it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE .... tell me how to do it right lol.

      Delete